Organizations and recruiters are looking for candidates who can speak and write flawless English. Hiring candidates who are good in the language offers several advantages for the company. They will be able to create better connections with their international customers, improve workplace diversity, better understand the global market, etc. Thus, most companies conduct English proficiency tests for the candidates before hiring them.
What is a pre-employment English proficiency test?
The pre-employment English proficiency test evaluates the candidate’s proficiency in different aspects of the English language. The test assesses if the candidate will be able to meet business-level language requirements. This focuses on assessing the reading and writing abilities of the candidate, their grammar and reasoning skills, verbal communication, and vocabulary. A candidate without good language skills can be detrimental to the growth of the business. Thus, such tests ensure that the right candidate works for the organization.
Skills that English proficiency tests assess in candidates:
Organizations can give the English proficiency test in the early stages of the hiring process. It tests the listening skills of the candidate, their speaking skills, reading skills, and English writing skills.
- Reading: The reading test measures how well the candidate is able to understand the information given in the written format. This indirectly assesses how well the candidate will be able to read texts, memos, articles, and emails in English.
- Writing: This test measures how well the candidate can write good English. This assesses how well the candidate can write business reports, emails, memos, presentations, etc.
- Speaking skills: The spoken communication skills of the candidate assess how well they will be able to present their ideas clearly while speaking to others. This also assesses how well they will be able to attend video conferences and phone calls.
- Listening skills: Listening skills measure the ability of the candidate to speak in different accents, with language intricacies and nuances. It also assesses how good the candidate is in idioms and how best they can communicate with customers, clients, and managers.
Using English proficiency tests to hire the best talents for the organizations:
Most organizations prefer to hire candidates with adequate English language skills. It is an important skill to assess candidates.
- Hired for remote working jobs,
- Hiring foreign workers for an English-speaking country
- For hiring candidates whose job requires speaking in English with consumers.
Recruiters should use English proficiency tests for these candidates in the initial hiring process. This helps to filter candidates with no English frequency quickly. These tests are available in different scales, such as,
- Basic level
- Elementary level
- Intermediate level
- Upper intermediate level
- Advanced level
Recruiters can thus choose the test according to the skill set they require for the specific job. All these tests are accurate, valid, and reliable. They improve the speed of the hiring process without any doubt.
How does the English proficiency test gauge the authenticity of the candidate’s resume?
About 75% of the candidates give false information in their CVs. Conducting proficiency tests can help recruiters gauge the authenticity of the resumes.
Assessing the candidate’s language proficiency will give clear information regarding the communication capabilities of the workforce to the top management. English proficiency test helps to pick candidates with appropriate language skills to communicate and coordinate with colleagues and clients, solve customer issues, and foster the success of the organization.